Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Kayaking and the Buckeyes


I did not make it this year!

I love to take my Kayak to some of the home Buckeye games during the fall season. I was planning to go down to the Ohio State - Michigan game last saturday but...
Too damn cold!
I walked down to the crik behind my house at about 7:00 in the morning and there was ice clinging to both sides of the creekbanks. It was 31 degrees. I could have braved it...I had casually mentioned these plans to a few friends throughout the summer, hoping to get at least 4 or better yet 8 kayaks down there to form the "Block O" with the kayaks in the river. I wanted to brave it. I was the only one that was even considering it when the morning of The Game arrived. Then I looked at the Lazy Boy...the fire in the stove a cracklin', the dog waiting to lay in my lap, the frost on my windshield, the big screen TV calling me, among other things like not having to even get dressed for awhile. So I wussed out and stayed home next to the fire, dog and food.
I know what I missed though, revelers dropping me beers from the Lane Avenue bridge, getting a loud O-H from the banks of the Olentangy, me shouting and gesturing back I-O from mid river, an occasional frisbee or foam football being flung my way and friendly fans requesting my presence at thier tailgate party to share hot dogs, more beers and a quick game of cornhole! Always a blast. I can park near the river at Arc Industry at Dodridge, carry the kayak and my provisions through a small patch of woods by trail and put in just below a low head dam and the bike trail. I paddle down river about 3/4 mile to the stadium and I can position myself in the middle of the river with a good view of the JumboTron. To hear the roar of the crowd on that very still river is amazing. At the same time, I spot a large hawk in the tree on the opposite bank.
Here are a few photos from a previous game.













No comments: